Just wanted to let everyone know that the Lord answered prayer regarding the trip back to Kenya. It was uneventful, smooth, comfortable and all my luggage arrived on the same plane that I did. I was very relieved to see it in Nairobi. Now I am staying in the mission's guest house in Nairobi for all of July at this point. That is a great place to meet people in all sort of Christian ministries in Kenya and Africa. So thanks to all of you for praying during these recent days of travel. I appreciate your continued prayers regarding decisions connected to language study and steps towards purchasing the vehicle. More details in the email updates that I send out. Now to get over the jet lag, establish a routine, and get Boran language lessons started during the up coming week.
WHAT IS JET LAG? Jet lag is what happens to a person due to the travel over a number of time zones in a short period of time. As one looks over the world map they can see that from the USA to Europe there are at least 5-6 different time zones that the airplane travels through in a 7.5 hour trip. Coming towards Europe is the larger part of the change of which 5 hours difference is experienced. Then another 8 hour trip from Europe to Kenya another two hour time zones are passed through to make a total of about 7-8(depending on the year)time zones. The results are a feeling of "fuzzy mind" and body. It takes at least 5-7 days to feel back into the routine again -sleeping the night through completely, not feeling sleepy during the daylight, and not feeling as if one is in a "fog". It is normal and just takes time to get back into routine again.
WHAT IS BORAN? This is the language that the people where I live and work speak. You might think that I do know it since I have worked there since 1999. Well, there are some reasons for taking lessons now. I know Swahili and so can use that when communicating with some people where I work. Thus I don't use what Boran that I might know very often. My responsibilities have hindered allowing concentrated time on the language. Up until now I have not found someone there at the immediate area who knows enough about their own language to explain it to me. Many of the traditional people don't know another language so it seems prudent to take the time before returning to the area to work on it. I have made contact with someone who is willing to do that for me. So the plan is to be in Nairobi area for all of July at this point to put time into doing just that, language(cultural included)learning. More details in the next email update.
Friday, June 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment